Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Recent Posts

Welcome to the NEW Samurai Archives Japanese History Forum. If you have an account on the old forum (The Samurai Archives Citadel), you'll have to create a new account here. If you did have an account at the old forum, send a PM to "Samurai Archives Bot" letting us know, and we'll update your post count to reflect your activity on the old forum.

Otherwise, you're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are many features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Be sure to validate your account via the email that will be sent when you sign up, otherwise you will have very limited access to forum features.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Trevor Absolon's forthcoming samurai armour book...
Topic Started: Mar 2 2016, 09:02 AM (2,302 Views)
Condottiero Magno
Member Avatar
Innkeeper
Supposed to be out around the end of November 2016, through Osprey Publishing, a 384 page hardcover on samurai armor. I think the RRP is $50.00 ATM, but one could pre-order it via Overstock.com for $28 and free domestic shipping to the lower 48. Unlike Amazon, Overstock pre-order payments are upfront.

Anyone know anything about this forthcoming title?
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

kitsuno
Member Avatar
The Shogun

I've known he was working on it for quite a while, although I haven't heard from him for close to a year at this point. It's good to see it finally going to print, I wasn't sure how much headway he was making. I believe it's more of an introductory work on armor.
Posted Image Support the Samurai Archives on Patreon!

Condottiero Magno
Member Avatar
Innkeeper
kitsuno
Mar 2 2016, 11:17 AM
I've known he was working on it for quite a while, although I haven't heard from him for close to a year at this point. It's good to see it finally going to print, I wasn't sure how much headway he was making. I believe it's more of an introductory work on armor.
Three hundred and eighty-four pages is pretty decent for an introductory work, especially on a specialized subject, though not as specialized as his work on Kabuto & Mengu. Considering the level of depth of the latter, compared with other titles I have on Japanese armor, including Bryant's constrained format Ospreys, I won't be disappointed, even if it isn't a ground breaking study.

worldantiques
No Avatar
Peasant
Condottiero Magno
Mar 2 2016, 06:07 PM
kitsuno
Mar 2 2016, 11:17 AM
Three hundred and eighty-four pages is pretty decent for an introductory work, especially on a specialized subject, though not as specialized as his work on Kabuto & Mengu. Considering the level of depth of the latter, compared with other titles I have on Japanese armor, including Bryant's constrained format Ospreys, I won't be disappointed, even if it isn't a ground breaking study.

Considering that no one besides Trevor has written any books on Japanese armor in recent memory I am sure that this book will be worth the cost.

Condottiero Magno
Member Avatar
Innkeeper
It appears Overstock hasn't updated its listing, other than the price... :lulz:

According to Amazon.com, its' still 384 pages, but this book is volume one of a 2 part study.
Quote:

This volume, the first in a two-part series on the armour of the samurai, traces first the history of the samurai themselves and then examines the history and evolution of the cuirass or dou, the armour protecting the samurai's chest. Drawing on over 20 years of research and technical work by Trevor Absolon, a leading expert, this is a complete study of this fundamental aspect of samurai armour construction. Stunningly illustrated throughout, this is more than just a detailed technical exploration, it is a meditation on a process that was, and still is, nothing short of an art form.

worldantiques
No Avatar
Peasant
Condottiero Magno
Sep 26 2016, 06:06 PM
It appears Overstock hasn't updated its listing, other than the price... :lulz:

According to Amazon.com, its' still 384 pages, but this book is volume one of a 2 part study.
Quote:

This volume, the first in a two-part series on the armour of the samurai, traces first the history of the samurai themselves and then examines the history and evolution of the cuirass or dou, the armour protecting the samurai's chest. Drawing on over 20 years of research and technical work by Trevor Absolon, a leading expert, this is a complete study of this fundamental aspect of samurai armour construction. Stunningly illustrated throughout, this is more than just a detailed technical exploration, it is a meditation on a process that was, and still is, nothing short of an art form.
Supposedly the 1st volume is being finalized and will go to print soon, fact checking, editing and adding photos / illustrations to a final draft is a time consuming process. It will be well worth the wait. If the first part focuses on the dou I hope the second part concentrates on the kabuto. It would be nice to finally have a book that would provide the same information that currently only available in non-English Japanese books.
Edited by worldantiques, Sep 28 2016, 09:27 AM.

DieselRay
Member Avatar
Vagrant
Has anyone had a chance to read it yet? Does it go into much detail on pre-sengoku armours?

narukagami
Member Avatar
Togishi
DieselRay
Nov 28 2016, 10:16 PM
Has anyone had a chance to read it yet? Does it go into much detail on pre-sengoku armours?
According to Amazon it's not due out until September 2017.

DieselRay
Member Avatar
Vagrant
narukagami
Nov 28 2016, 10:55 PM
DieselRay
Nov 28 2016, 10:16 PM
According to Amazon it's not due out until September 2017.
Aah, I had misread and thought it was due 2016. Thanks for the correction.

chingwa
Member Avatar
Priest
I also thought it was going to be out the end of this year... It seems the publishing date got pushed back.

Condottiero Magno
Member Avatar
Innkeeper
chingwa
Nov 29 2016, 06:52 AM
I also thought it was going to be out the end of this year... It seems the publishing date got pushed back.
This is the third change in release date: November 2016, February 2017 and now September...

Order it from Amazon or another bookstore, as Overstock charges one upfront, even if the release date is pushed back.

worldantiques
No Avatar
Peasant
Looks like October for a possible date, Trevor is doing last minute additions and fact checking etc from what I have been told. This book has been in the making for many years and once it is published any mistakes will be in print forever. I am sure it will be worth the wait, as far as I know there is no one else in the position to write a book like this except for Ian Bottomley and Ian does not seem to have any plans to write another book. Ian seems content to post small articles on forums from time to time. With Anthony Bryant gone who else has this kind of knowledge outside of Japan???

ltdomer98
Member Avatar
Daijo Daijin

Condottiero Magno
Jan 10 2017, 05:20 PM
chingwa
Nov 29 2016, 06:52 AM
This is the third change in release date: November 2016, February 2017 and now September...

Order it from Amazon or another bookstore, as Overstock charges one upfront, even if the release date is pushed back.

Yeah, that's annoying, but he's no George R.R. Martin....
Posted Image
Daijo Daijin Emeritus
退職させていただきます。

kitsuno
Member Avatar
The Shogun

ltdomer98
May 28 2017, 01:27 PM

Yeah, that's annoying, but he's no George R.R. Martin....

He's likely to just drop dead before he finishes the last few books. :shock:

Posted Image Support the Samurai Archives on Patreon!

worldantiques
No Avatar
Peasant
No one has anything to say about this fantastic book now that it has been released??? At around $40+ on Amazon it is one hell of a bargain. :shiz:

worldantiques
No Avatar
Peasant
worldantiques
Jan 3 2018, 07:37 AM
No one has anything to say about this fantastic book now that it has been released??? At around $40+ on Amazon it is one hell of a bargain. :shiz:
Has anyone besides me actually bought this fantastic book??? Hard to believe.
Edited by worldantiques, Feb 20 2018, 04:25 PM.

ltdomer98
Member Avatar
Daijo Daijin

worldantiques
Feb 20 2018, 04:23 PM
worldantiques
Jan 3 2018, 07:37 AM
Has anyone besides me actually bought this fantastic book??? Hard to believe.

Do you make a commission? Settle down. People have lives outside of here. I go through about 6-10 books per week right now. I'm not spending $5 on one if I can help it, and I'm not going to pay $40 for a book I might read in....2-3 years, no matter how good it may be. Hopefully my library acquires it and I get a chance to look at it. But your "??? Hard to believe" is a bit over the top. Considering how long it took Trevor to get it out, he can afford to wait for people to get around to it.

Posted Image
Daijo Daijin Emeritus
退職させていただきます。

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Arms and Armor · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Board Index

Samurai Archives is (C)2015 by C.E. West & F.W. Seal. Samurai Archives online since September 1st, 1999. The current Samurai Archives forum online since March 4th, 2015.