Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Recent Posts

Welcome to the NEW Samurai Archives Japanese History Forum. If you have an account on the old forum (The Samurai Archives Citadel), you'll have to create a new account here. If you did have an account at the old forum, send a PM to "Samurai Archives Bot" letting us know, and we'll update your post count to reflect your activity on the old forum.

Otherwise, you're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are many features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Be sure to validate your account via the email that will be sent when you sign up, otherwise you will have very limited access to forum features.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Forum Update / Change
Topic Started: Jun 26 2018, 05:01 AM (135 Views)
kitsuno
Member Avatar
The Shogun

FYI - sometime in the next few months, the company that hosts this forum is going to transition to another company, so the format is probably going to radically change, some things might break, etc. But the posts and the database won't be affected. So don't be surprised if you log in one day and see a pretty unfamiliar look to the forum. If some of the enhancements that I've added over the years break, I'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Posted Image Support the Samurai Archives on Patreon!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

kitsuno
Member Avatar
The Shogun

Just got an update, apparently the entire forum format will be completely scrapped and converted to the "Tapatalk" platform. All the posts will still be here, but all of the formatting will be completely removed. So don't be surprised if you log in one day and the board is plain white with nothing. When that happens, I guess I'll do my best to reformatting everything. But again, all the posts and threads won't be affected. But everything else will.

kitsuno
Member Avatar
The Shogun

The change over is probably going to happen within the next 24 hours. Fingers crossed it doesn't break everything...

kitsuno
Member Avatar
The Shogun

Just got another message, apparently this forum won't be moved yet because it has a "custom URL". So probably at some point in the next few weeks it'll get changed over.

Sam
Member Avatar
Artisan
After the change, is moving to Slack an option? You could even make it so that only Patreon supporters can join.

kitsuno
Member Avatar
The Shogun

There is already a Japanese History discord server. I don't run it, but the person who runs it allowed me to integrate Patreon and there is a private subsection for Patreon supporters: https://discord.gg/r3nzUYR

salyavin
No Avatar
Beggar
slack has a history limit unless the owner pays a significant amount if they do not want history to roll off whereas a forum one can read the history going back years regardless of post numbers. Search engines can search forum content but not slack which can help people find samurai archives. The tapatalk I am familiar with integrates into existing forum software allowing one to use a mobile application to read the forum and get alerts on new posts in interesting forums or just threads one is interested in. I kind of like tapatalk but it does integrate into forum software and if tapatalk is ever compromised so is your forum, I am not aware of this happening yet. They can make special patreon only areas of the forum if they want much like they did on discord https://discord.gg/V646KQa

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Oshirase · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Board Index

Samurai Archives is (C)2015 by C.E. West & F.W. Seal. Samurai Archives online since September 1st, 1999. The current Samurai Archives forum online since March 4th, 2015.