Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Recent Posts

Welcome to the NEW Samurai Archives Japanese History Forum. If you have an account on the old forum (The Samurai Archives Citadel), you'll have to create a new account here. If you did have an account at the old forum, send a PM to "Samurai Archives Bot" letting us know, and we'll update your post count to reflect your activity on the old forum.

Otherwise, you're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are many features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Be sure to validate your account via the email that will be sent when you sign up, otherwise you will have very limited access to forum features.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Ancient Ryukyu: An Archaeological Study of Island Communities; By Richard Pearson, University of Hawaii Press
Topic Started: Apr 6 2018, 05:19 PM (571 Views)
Nerroth
Member Avatar
Merchant
I was wondering if anyone here has had a chance to read Richard Pearson's Ancient Ryukyu: An Archaeological Study of Island Communities, as published in November 2013 by the University of Hawaii Press.

The remit taken by the author runs from the earliest known human habitation of the Ryukyu islands through to the eve of the Shimazu conquest of 1609. (Which, technically, runs past the end point of the era of "Wajin" Japanese history covered in this sub-forum, but anyway...)

The book is available in print, as well as in Kindle format (where a preview of the work may be found).

Are there any thoughts on this volume, and how (or if) it informs your view of the Ryukyus as they developed prior to the Satsuma invasion?
Edited by Nerroth, Apr 6 2018, 05:35 PM.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Toranosuke
Member Avatar
Tosa no kami
I haven't read Pearson cover-to-cover, but I definitely own it, and remember skimming through some of it. I'm afraid I don't remember the book well enough right now off the top of my head to say "how (or if) it informs your view of the Ryukyus as they developed prior to the Satsuma invasion," or indeed to give many more thoughts on the book.

But, what I will say is that I'm happy it exists, I think it's really great that we have such a book on Ko-Ryukyu (古琉球, lit. "old Ryukyu", the standard term in Japanese scholarship for the period before Satsuma's invasion). But while there's a lot to like about Pearson's work, I am often frustrated with the way he and other archaeologists present a lot of their findings without offering suggestions as to their significance. I don't recall too clearly whether or not this is a significant problem with this book, but... more so than precisely recorded details about individual finds of pottery, or about the layout of the gusuku, I'd love a bit more about what this helps us understand about the history of Okinawan pottery, history of Okinawan trade, history of Okinawan culture and society in a broader sense. We have your data - now what are your conclusions, your interpretations, from that data?
上り口説 Nubui Kuduchi – Musings on the arts of Japan and beyond
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Ancient Japan to Heian · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Board Index

Samurai Archives is (C)2015 by C.E. West & F.W. Seal. Samurai Archives online since September 1st, 1999. The current Samurai Archives forum online since March 4th, 2015.