Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Recent Posts

Welcome to the NEW Samurai Archives Japanese History Forum. If you have an account on the old forum (The Samurai Archives Citadel), you'll have to create a new account here. If you did have an account at the old forum, send a PM to "Samurai Archives Bot" letting us know, and we'll update your post count to reflect your activity on the old forum.

Otherwise, you're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are many features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Be sure to validate your account via the email that will be sent when you sign up, otherwise you will have very limited access to forum features.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
What are the best comprehensive books about the history of Japan?
Topic Started: Feb 14 2018, 09:08 AM (233 Views)
zzmhtiqy
No Avatar
Beggar
Hello folks,

Recently, I decided that in my next vacation I'm (finally) fulfilling my life-long dream of traveling to Japan. As you may well imagine, I'm very, very, very excited about it! So I'm looking for some information about Japanese history to better enjoy my experience there.

I'm not a professional historian. Still, I have no problems reading academic works. That said, I'm not looking for a collection of essays such as the Cambridge History of Japan or Japan Emerging: Premodern History to 1850. I want a comprehensive history of Japan from its early age to (at least) the Meiji Restoration.

I came across some titles that could be interesting, but I am unsure which to choose:

A History of Japan, by George Sansom - although exactly what I'm looking for, I read a lot of criticism of it being supposedly dated. Do you agree with it? To what extent this book doesn't represent the most recent scholarship about Japanese history?

A History of Japan: From Stone Age to Superpower, by Kenneth G. Henshall - looks interesting enough and up to date. But as a 250-page book about the history of an entire country, is it way too shallow?

A Concise History of Japan, by Brett Walker - found surprisingly little about this book online. Does it mean it's not the best there is about the theme? Or is it a hidden jewel?

Could you help me, please? And, of course, feel free to suggest other works I may have missed.

Thank you!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Bethetsu
No Avatar
Tsushima no kami
My own favorite is the section on Japan in Reischaur, et al., East Asia: The Great Tradition; I refer to it often . Reischaur also wrote Japan : The Story of a Nation, but I read it so long ago I don't remember much about it.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Japanese History - Beginner's Guide & Resources · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Board Index

Samurai Archives is (C)2015 by C.E. West & F.W. Seal. Samurai Archives online since September 1st, 1999. The current Samurai Archives forum online since March 4th, 2015.