Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Recent Posts

Welcome to the NEW Samurai Archives Japanese History Forum. If you have an account on the old forum (The Samurai Archives Citadel), you'll have to create a new account here. If you did have an account at the old forum, send a PM to "Samurai Archives Bot" letting us know, and we'll update your post count to reflect your activity on the old forum.

Otherwise, you're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are many features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Be sure to validate your account via the email that will be sent when you sign up, otherwise you will have very limited access to forum features.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
The Kikuchi clan and Baekje
Topic Started: Jan 29 2018, 08:36 AM (143 Views)
Elwe
Member Avatar
Innkeeper
There are theories that the Kikuchi clan of Higo Province (Kyushu) are from Baekje. They have found a golden statue in the ruins of the castle that is from Baekje and there are records saying that the founder of the Kikuchi, Kikuchi Noritaka (菊池 則隆) is the son of Masanori (政則) and grandson of Chikanori (親則).

A Japanese genealogist, Suzuki Matoshi, states that he found a record that Chikanori is a 12th generation descendant of Gwisil Boksin (a relative of the royal family of Baekje). I made a page on him :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwisil_Boksin
and his son...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwisil_Jipsa
and this...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwisil_clan

But the Kikuchi clan itself in the 1500's claimed descent from Fujiwara no Takaie (but Suzuki Matoshi says he found in the records that Masanori was actually just a retainer of the Fujiwara.) confusing.

I was the one who made the entire page on the Kikuchi clan on Wikipedia years ago.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kikuchi_clan

Here is a tree from the genealogist given to me. What are your thoughts on this?
Posted Image

Elwe
Edited by Elwe, Jan 29 2018, 08:40 AM.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Fijure
Member Avatar
Rice Farmer
I find this intriguing and quite possible, after all there is no question that if Baekje royalty settled in Japan after Baekgang (which we have no reasonable reason to doubt), they would leave descendants in the Japanese nobility, that would quickly be thoroughly Japanized. As for the specific connection to Kikuchi I have no idea, but it sounds like Suzuki has done his homework.

As for the connection to Fujiwara Takaie, remember that in the Sengoku period clans frequently reinterpreted their genealogy to find new connections to suit their purposes, like how Nobunaga suddenly claimed descent from the Taira despite that connection (which was real enough AFAIK) having been ignored for centuries. I'll assume claiming descent to the Fujiwara clan was more a point of legitimacy than anything else, since it sounds better saying "My ancestor was Fujiwara Takaie" than saying "my ancestor was some no-name retainer of Fujiwara Takaie who btw also descended from some Koreans 12 generations earlier."

I could be wrong, but that's just my two cents on it.

Btw I remember wondering why the Kikuchi clan article on Wikipedia was so detailed compared to other samurai clan articles when I first read it a few years ago, now it seems I know why, you did an amazing job there.

Bethetsu
No Avatar
Tsushima no kami
Just tonight the NHK weekly program "Names of Japanese" talked about "Kikuchi"--an extremely common name--asking the question, why are there two Kikuchi kanji, 菊池 and 菊地?
They showed Kikuchi Noritaka's grave. He changed his name from Fujiwara to Kikuchi 菊池 (lit. Chrysanthemum Pond) because of a pond on his land, which still exists, surrounded by chrysanthemums, which were then comparatively rare.
They said the clan was mostly scattered during the time of the Nanboku, many going to the northeast. Among them some wanted to change their name to avoid persecution, but were reluctant to to give up Kikuchi completely, so they changed 池 "pond" to 地 "earth."

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Ancient Japan to Heian · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Board Index

Samurai Archives is (C)2015 by C.E. West & F.W. Seal. Samurai Archives online since September 1st, 1999. The current Samurai Archives forum online since March 4th, 2015.