Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Recent Posts

Welcome to the NEW Samurai Archives Japanese History Forum. If you have an account on the old forum (The Samurai Archives Citadel), you'll have to create a new account here. If you did have an account at the old forum, send a PM to "Samurai Archives Bot" letting us know, and we'll update your post count to reflect your activity on the old forum.

Otherwise, you're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are many features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Be sure to validate your account via the email that will be sent when you sign up, otherwise you will have very limited access to forum features.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
NHK New Years Samurai Drama .
Topic Started: Jan 1 2018, 09:48 AM (774 Views)
Wicked L
Member Avatar
Oki no kami
Koki Mitani returns with this ..
http://nhkworldpremium.com/program/detail_e.aspx?d=20180102103000&ssl=false&c=26

Heroes In Turbulent Times Western Studies Revolution . Ok sounds boring, probably is .

Equally tedious, but already aired was Ryoma's Last Day, this was on the tube yesterday .

And a doc on Toba/Fushimi .
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Maya
Member Avatar
Merchant
Watched a bit and turned off. It was too boring.
Way too many reused actors from Sanadamaru and Kiyosu Kaigi and probably tons of recycled costumes again.
I also dislike Mitani's characterization of characters and I will avoid stuff written by him after he messed up the Sanada (Sakai Masato as Yukimura was miscast and I am still bitter that his script bashed/butchered interesting Ina and Otani Yoshitsugu's tragic daughter and ignored historical facts to cater to Nagasawa Masami's boring character).

Mitani also has a stage play this year with Matsuoka Mayu (Otani Yoshitsugu's daughter in Sanadamaru) and several other Taiga actors as well.
However only a poster exists so far.

Wicked L
Member Avatar
Oki no kami
I did not like Kiyosu Kaigi either to be honest . I did like his Shinsengumi Taiga, well the second half of it . The first half was pretty bad save for the Serizawa scenes . Aside from Shingo Katori, the cast was decent, especially Yamamoto and Odagiri.

Hopefully they will not let him near any historical drama again, bring back James Miki (Masamune,Yoshimune and Aoi ).

Maya what was the tragedy of Chikurin-in?, i know she and her daughter became nuns, or served the Asano clan, and her youngest son escaped and changed his name.
Edited by Wicked L, Jan 2 2018, 05:26 PM.

Maya
Member Avatar
Merchant
Serizawa was pretty cool as was his lover Oume. Yamamoto was in my opinion the actual lead of Shinsengumi. He was good as Mitsunari in Sanadamaru as well since he can be really presentful. If you look in his face you are like "One false word and he tores you into pieces."

As for Chikurin-in her life was god awful I think worse than even Oichi's or Suwa Goryonin's. Her father Yoshitsugu had to commit suicide due to Kobayakawa's betrayal which is usually believed to be one of the main factors (along with Sakon's death and Mitsunari's flaws) that the Western army lost.
Than came 14 years Kudoyama exile along with Yukimura. She is said to have supported the family with the Sanadahimo and working along with servants.
The Siege of Osaka was pretty much a disaster for her. Not only did her husband with whom she was said to be close with die, the child who pretty much raised her status in the Sanada clan Daisuke the heir (12 to 14 years old) killed himself along with Hideyori and Yodo.
Her brother Otani Yoshiharu (Yoshitsugu's remaining heir) died as well.
Daihachi (2 years old) her second son escaped with the help of the Katakura clan (he was named Katakura Morinobu) and continued Yukimura's lineage. The shogunate seemed to have wanted to find him for a while though.
Chikurin-in and her daughter Akuri (the daughter who wasn't married yet, probably around 10) were hiding after Yukimura's death however Asano Nagaakira's troups found them and gave them to the Tokugawa.
The Tokugawa could have executed her however she was spared and became a nun like you mentioned.

She wasn't Yukimura's first wife and a minor when he married her shortly before Sekigahara (Sanada Taiheiki and Sanadamaru got this right) thus was probably in her early 30s during Osaka just like her brother Yoshiharu. She reached an old age which I find kinda depressing to think about since I think that the death of Yoshitsugu, Yukimura and in particular Daisuke as a combination sounds awful.

I can see though why the 'feel good' Taiga can't work with her since she had plenty of problems.
Sanada Taiheiki solved it a lot better with Yukimura and her becoming close during exile and him admiting that her fate is really cruel and apologizing that he contributes to it.

Wicked L
Member Avatar
Oki no kami
Thank you Maya, information on her in English is pretty scare, so now i understand a lot more. She would make a great subject for a Taiga herself, though it will never happen as the topic is not uplifting .

NHK though, can certainly make dying a joyous occasion, ie Naotora, Kondo in Shinsengumi, even the Taira's were all joyfully reunited in the murky depths after jumping off the boat.

I so much agree on Koji Yamamoto , he channeled Hijikata, looked like him, acted like him and was the de -facto real leader .

Maya
Member Avatar
Merchant
After the new years special which featured a lot of Sanadamaru's cast these are the two other projects of Mitani this year.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The stage play Edo burns

Featuring Matsuoka Mayu (Otani Yoshitsugu's daughter in Sanadamaru), Tanaka Kei (Mitsunari in Gunshi Kanbei), Fujimoto Takahiro (Hotta Sakubei in Sanadamaru).

The cast is appearing on vs. arashi thus they will probably show what it's about soon.

Posted Image

The other project is Kuroido Koroshi a series based on Agatha Christie's The Murder of Roger Ackroyd.
The character supposed to resemble Poirot is played by Nomura Mansai (Narita Nagachika in Floating Castle).
Also lots of Sanadamaru actors: Oizumi Yo (played Nobuyuki in Sanadamaru), Matsuoka Mayu (Otani's daughter), Yoshida Yo (Ina), Saito Yuki (Ieyasu's wife Acha no Tsubone), Fujii Takashi (Sarutobi Sasuke).

The Agatha Christie Series might be ok though I wonder if he will change story aspects.
Many characters from the chart correspond with the ones from the original story.
For example: Matsuoka Mayu's character Hanako (the niece of the victim) is based on the character Flora (flora and hana also both mean flower lol).

Mitani did already cover Murder on the Orient Express in 2015.
http://asianwiki.com/Murder_on_the_Orient_Express_(Japanese_Drama)
Edited by Maya, Feb 17 2018, 07:15 AM.

Wicked L
Member Avatar
Oki no kami
Edo Bums, may be good, honestly Mitani is best at comedy,he just cannot do drama .

NHK have a new Ryoma drama starting next month also, it looks really bad. Low budget, poor cast.
Edited by Wicked L, Feb 18 2018, 11:41 AM.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The Samurai Film · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Board Index

Samurai Archives is (C)2015 by C.E. West & F.W. Seal. Samurai Archives online since September 1st, 1999. The current Samurai Archives forum online since March 4th, 2015.