Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Recent Posts

Welcome to the NEW Samurai Archives Japanese History Forum. If you have an account on the old forum (The Samurai Archives Citadel), you'll have to create a new account here. If you did have an account at the old forum, send a PM to "Samurai Archives Bot" letting us know, and we'll update your post count to reflect your activity on the old forum.

Otherwise, you're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are many features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Be sure to validate your account via the email that will be sent when you sign up, otherwise you will have very limited access to forum features.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Guide to Sôrôbun
Topic Started: Nov 29 2017, 11:20 AM (229 Views)
Toranosuke
Member Avatar
Tosa no kami
I've just noticed that the sôrôbun manual from Dr. Laura Moretti's Cambridge University "graduate summer school on Edo period written Japanese" is up and free to access online. I did this workshop a couple years ago, and it was excellent - for those of you in grad school (or similar) who might have the funding and the opportunity, I recommend it. Three weeks (iirc?) in Cambridge, working on how to read kanbun, sôrôbun, classical grammar, and that damn kuzushiji (handwriting!).

But, for the rest of everyone, here's a handy guide to teaching yourself how to read sôrôbun: http://wakanedo.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Manual-sorobun.pdf

Sôrôbun 候文 was one of the most commonly used forms of writing in Edo period documents. It uses both kanji and kana extensively. Learning to read it bears some close similarities with kanbun, but is a separate thing unto itself. Sôrôbun relies extensively on particular set phrases, and ends a great many of its clauses and sentences in the copula verb sôrô (候).

To give just one example, a brief excerpt from the records of the honjin at Futagawa station along the Tôkaidô: 「此度近在ヨリ見物大勢出、宿内こんさつ仕候。」In modern Japanese, that would be, very roughly, 「今度、隣の村々より見物をする人大勢が来て、宿内が混雑になりました。」And, very roughly in English, "At this time, a ton of people came from neighboring villages to see [the event], and the post-town became very crowded." So, it's this sort of style of writing. I've been very fortunate to have lessons/workshops in this, so I can't be 100% sure how well one can do just with the online manual and self-study, but, if you're interested, I think it's a really good resource. Good luck!
上り口説 Nubui Kuduchi – Musings on the arts of Japan and beyond
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

ltdomer98
Member Avatar
Daijo Daijin

Thanks for this!!
Posted Image
Daijo Daijin Emeritus
退職させていただきます。
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

kitsuno
Member Avatar
The Shogun

Tangentially related, but Dr. Vovin just made his September 2017 article "Origins of the Japanese Language" available on academia.edu: https://www.academia.edu/35280086/Origins_of_the_Japanese_Language
Posted Image Support the Samurai Archives on Patreon!
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

shiranuisen
No Avatar
Peasant
Interesting. Thanks for this.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Japanese Language · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Board Index

Samurai Archives is (C)2015 by C.E. West & F.W. Seal. Samurai Archives online since September 1st, 1999. The current Samurai Archives forum online since March 4th, 2015.