Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Recent Posts

Welcome to the NEW Samurai Archives Japanese History Forum. If you have an account on the old forum (The Samurai Archives Citadel), you'll have to create a new account here. If you did have an account at the old forum, send a PM to "Samurai Archives Bot" letting us know, and we'll update your post count to reflect your activity on the old forum.

Otherwise, you're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are many features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Be sure to validate your account via the email that will be sent when you sign up, otherwise you will have very limited access to forum features.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Kumamoto Castle quake damage 2017
Topic Started: Sep 27 2017, 07:31 AM (346 Views)
kitsuno
Member Avatar
The Shogun

Not so much news as just a collection of pictures I took, but if anyone is interested, here's what Kumamoto Castle looks like as of 10 days ago:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuzo/albums/72157685620784952

Posted Image

Also, I have video footage, but I need some sort of free software to cut it together, anyone have any recommendations? Once it's cut together I'll put it up on youtube.
Posted Image Support the Samurai Archives on Patreon!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

kitsuno
Member Avatar
The Shogun

Here is the actual footage I took while I was there, you can see that most of the wall has completely collapsed in some sections. Unfortunately as of September we were only allowed around the outer perimeter of the castle. According to the guide, the castle should be restored within 3 years, but the grounds and walls will probably take up to 20 years due to the cost, which is expected to be about 6 billion yen, or around $50 million USD.

Interestingly, they also matched up the fallen stones with pictures of the castle, and have all of the stones laid out and labeled, so that when they rebuild, they'll know which stone goes where. Another interesting thing is that the fallen stones have revealed buddhist carvings on some of the stones. They had one one display, and once I get around to uploading all of my pics, I'll put it up.

Bethetsu
No Avatar
Tsushima no kami
Is that Udo Tower 宇土櫓? I think that is the only building left from Kiyomori's castle--the others were destroyed during the Seinan War. How much damage did it have? I saw a lot of pictures at the time of turrets with crumbling foundations. It is hard to see in your pictures, but it looks like part of the foundation is still hollowed out. But I suppose they have some beams in there.

kitsuno
Member Avatar
The Shogun

No, Uto turret is on the other side, it is undamaged. The damaged one in the video is one of the rebuilt turrets, and the entire center of the foundation fell out, it's standing basically on one leg.

Uto turret: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kuuzo/37099117200/in/album-72157685620784952/

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Japanese History in the News · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Board Index

Samurai Archives is (C)2015 by C.E. West & F.W. Seal. Samurai Archives online since September 1st, 1999. The current Samurai Archives forum online since March 4th, 2015.