Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Recent Posts

Welcome to the NEW Samurai Archives Japanese History Forum. If you have an account on the old forum (The Samurai Archives Citadel), you'll have to create a new account here. If you did have an account at the old forum, send a PM to "Samurai Archives Bot" letting us know, and we'll update your post count to reflect your activity on the old forum.

Otherwise, you're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are many features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free. Be sure to validate your account via the email that will be sent when you sign up, otherwise you will have very limited access to forum features.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
NHK Taiga Drama 2018 Sego-Don
Topic Started: Mar 31 2017, 02:43 AM (1,769 Views)
Wicked L
Member Avatar
Oki no kami
Looks like this one is getting a lot of buzz already, id even go as far as to say NHK are pushing this more than Naotora .

https://doramaworld.blogspot.com/2016/09/announcement-about-nhks-2018-taiga.html
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Wicked L
Member Avatar
Oki no kami
Ken Watanabe joins the cast as Shimazu Nariakira .

Yasu
Member Avatar
Vagrant
Glad that casting of Ken Watanabe went official. There were some rumors that this might not happen due to his recent affair scandal.

Wicked L
Member Avatar
Oki no kami
NHK delayed the announcement and kept it under wraps because of the affair, Watanabe was laying low in New York, but returned to Japan this week to start filming .

http://www.tokyoreporter.com/2017/04/03/ken-watanabe-in-affair-while-wife-fights-cancer-report/

Its funny NHK have assembled what must be the most photogenic cast ever for a Taiga .

My only concern about this is the heavy focus on Saigo's two periods of exile, sorry but i am way over this rustic stuff, especially after Naotora .
Edited by Wicked L, Aug 18 2017, 02:31 AM.

mktanaka
Member Avatar
Togishi
2018 Saigo Satsuma
2015 Hana Choshu
2013 Yae Aizu
2010 Ryoma Tosa
2008 Atsuhime Satsuma
2004 Shinsengumi Edo

Each of these Taiga Dramas overlap some of Japan's key events from the various perspectives..... Satsuma, Choshu, Aizu, Tosa, Edo/Tokugawa.
Different alliances, motives, decisions, and views of direction Japan should take during these times. For obvious reasons, the events/decisions leading up to the Meiji Restoration changed the direction of the country as the 20th century was starting to rise on the horizon as well as Japan's role in the new world's order.

For 2018 Saigo, I will be interested in among others, these episodes that pertain to:

-Saigo's decision to halt his march on Edo and let the Tokugawa family remain
-Saigo's role in Satsuma to join hands with Choshu.
-Saigo and Okubo's role in early days of the Meiji government/conflicts during this transition period
-Saigo's parting ways with Japan's new government and key decision to lead the Satsuma's rebellion

Link from the old S-A Forum, posted by Hosokawa Gracia:

http://forumarchive.samurai-archives.com/viewtopic.php?t=6127
Only known photographic image of Saigo???

http://www.lesliehelm.com/images/

Glad to see Ken Watanabe's return to Taiga Drama's.. 1987/Date, 2001/Hojo

Edited by mktanaka, Aug 18 2017, 01:22 PM.

Maya
Member Avatar
Innkeeper
I love the female cast so far.

Kuroki Haru is a great actress I like her a lot especially in historical settings.
She was also great in the Little House for which she won at the Berlinale.
In Sanadamaru she played Hotta Sakubei's sister Yukimura's first wife.
In Segon-Don she plays Saigo's third wife.

Now they have also announced Nikaido Fumi as an ex wife of Saigo.

Fumi is considered the best young Japanese actress and having watched most of her work I have to agree her acting is overkill.
The only other two young actresses that can kinda keep up with Fumi are Takahata Mitsuki (played Itohime, Kuroda Nagamasa's first wife in Kanbei) and Matsuoka Mayu (played Otani Yoshitsugu's daughter in Sanadamaru who was Yukimura's fourth wife).

This is Fumi's third Taiga appearance already:
In Kiyomori she played Kiyomori's softspoken daughter Tokuko,
and in Kanbei she played Chacha (very evil by the way completed with fraternizing with Tanaka Kei's ruthless Mitsunari)
Edited by Maya, Oct 7 2017, 10:00 AM.

Wicked L
Member Avatar
Oki no kami
I liked Fumi in Kanbei, to be honest that is the only thing i have seen her in .

I saw those instagram pics of Sego Don, looks like the same village as in Naotora, and yet more rural's , damn, sorry but i could care less about seeing Saigo " rassling with a hawg " (Maya means wrestling with a pig, goes hand in hand with rural southern peeps in the US who like Jack Daniels,Robert E Lee and Lynyrd Skynyrd ).

kitsuno
Member Avatar
The Shogun

Sego Don sounds like an egg and rice dish.
Posted Image Support the Samurai Archives on Patreon!

Maya
Member Avatar
Innkeeper
Yes the newest pictures on instagram all scream "endless village plots" again.
I was kinda hoping that they do something good with the cast since many of the actors and actresses are very good.

They also rereleased the novel the Taiga is based on. Several Taiga based on novels turned out decent however if there are more than 10 episodes in the rural setting just like in Naotora I will probably give up quickly since I see little hope for the writing than.

Wicked L
Member Avatar
Oki no kami
Maya from what i heard Sego Don mainly focuses on Saigo's two periods of exile, honestly does not sound promising .

Wicked L
Member Avatar
Oki no kami
Well here is the trailer, first up the music sucks, a lot of it looks like a remake of the 1990 Taiga, also about Saigo "As If In Flight ", some scenes are actual remakes from that drama.o
The "cutting edge Saigo/Okubo gay subplot" has gone ,NHK have no cajones .
Lots of rural wrestling, and getting dirty. Nothing to be excited about this one either.
http://www.nhk.or.jp/segodon/
Edited by Wicked L, Dec 17 2017, 12:56 PM.

Wicked L
Member Avatar
Oki no kami
Despite my musings, its not too bad. Best Taiga since Kanbee. Budget looks decent, not great, but better than the last 3. Good cast .Pacing is good, only the first episode covers Saigo as a little kid .This is the last period drama for sometime. Nothing is even scheduled after the Olympic one. If that is the case, this may not be a bad one to end the franchise .

Maya
Member Avatar
Innkeeper
It seems decent I agree let's hope it stays like this since they did manage to bring together a strong cast.

I personally also hope that if they end the franchise they end it on a high note. Kanbee would have been a good opportunity back than but if Sego-don stays decent it might work as well.

Maybe they should stop with annual Taiga than and just release 20-30 episode specials every few years with enough budget and good scripts.

While I would like a good Heian Taiga again or a Takeda Taiga about Nobutora, Shingen and Katsuyori I think quiet often Taiga are limited due to budget and the quick need of a script (if they aren't based on novels) thus I hope that they take their time in the future to develope a Taiga. I wouldn't cling to releasing one every year. A good one every few years would be way better.

Wicked L
Member Avatar
Oki no kami
They should really adopt the formula used by Vikings, 20 episodes a season split in two parts, airing at the beginning and ending of each year, despite the numerous historical errors, you can forgive it, because the cast is strong, the writing is good and each episode looks like a film .
So NHK should hire Michael Hirst (Tudors,Camelot,Elizabeth The Golden Age, and Vikings ). Will Adams will be the topic, Adam's played by Jonathan Rhy's Meyers. Alexander Ludwig, Katheryn Winnick, Alex Hogh Andersen, Clive Standen Gustav Skarsgard as the crew members and Dutch settlers. Masahiko Tsugawa as Ieyasu, Ryuhei Matsuda as Date Masamune, Takashi Miike as Hideyoshi, plus he will direct some episodes .Yusuke Iseya as Hidetata...And it will be 20 episodes, decent budget and air in two parts .

nomind
Member Avatar
Artisan
It seems there's been 4 episodes now? Have anyone here seen any episodes? What did you like?
Online Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Wicked L
Member Avatar
Oki no kami
I like it, best Taiga since Kanbee, its seems to have more of a budget than the last 3 . Story reminds me of Ryomaden so far. It also has a great cast . In all fairness the last 3 were so bad, i had almost given up . So the utter failure of what came before probably helped this one a lot .
Curious to see what Maya thinks ?.

Maya
Member Avatar
Innkeeper
I like it so far all the actors do a really good job.
The good thing is that similar to Kanbei and Ryomaden and Kiyomori there don't seem to be weak spots in the cast and story. The budget also looks better.
Sadly the ratings are not outstanding (so far the start in my opinion is way better than Hana Moyu, Sanadamaru and Naotora) yet.

There also doesn't seem to be the annoying urge to modernize characters here at least yet like the last three:

Hana Moyu wanted to pretend that Sugi Fumi was involved in everything to give Inoue Mao screentime despite Sugi Fumi being a footnote.

Sanadamaru used modern language and advertised Takanashi Naiki's daughter Kiri (a historical footnote) played by Nagasawa Masami as the heroine and a "free woman" and portrayed Ina (Nobuyuki's wife, played by Yoshida Yo), Yamanote Dono (Yukimura's mother), Chacha (played by Takeuchi Yuko) and Otani Yoshitsugu's daughter (Yukimura's most crucial and popular wife played by Matsuoka Mayu) negatively which even was discussed by a feminist on TV from what I have read.

Naotora's conversations were totally unrealistic + the boytoy. The only passable scenes were Imagawa Clan, Tokugawa Clan and Naomasa's Story.

Saigo's wives in my opinion are all super well casted:
First wife - Hashimoto Ai
Second wife - Nikaido Fumi
Third wive - Kuroki Haru

All good actresses.
Edited by Maya, Jan 30 2018, 08:53 AM.

Wicked L
Member Avatar
Oki no kami
That is a shame about the ratings Maya, i actually like this more than Ryomaden, It is much more compelling and interesting .I admit the Ryoma story has been done to death, just like the 47 Ronin, as such its hard to sit through, because you know everything that will happen . Saigo's story is well known also, but mainly his last years. There are many interesting things going on in this drama,that i was not expecting, and the cast is pretty close to perfection .

Yasu
Member Avatar
Vagrant
Indeed actors are great, plots are good, however my concern is that some of the characters like Oyura, Narioki Shimazu, Zusho, and Hisamitsu Shimazu are written as "villain". It is true that Saigo or Nariakira played remarkable role in the history, I don't really agree to position people above as dumb guys. Dilemma of entertainment VS history truth.

Wicked L
Member Avatar
Oki no kami
NHK do that though, some of these same people were "good guys" in Atsuhime and Tobu Ga Gotoku. Same with the Tokugawa, bad in one Taiga, good in another.
Edited by Wicked L, Feb 1 2018, 06:02 PM.

Tatsunoshi
Member Avatar
Miko no Kami

Yep, the heroic role of "I just want to make a country where everyone can smile by regretfully but ruthlessly eliminating all who oppose me" gets passed around depending on who the subject of the Taiga is-all others are switched to the 'bad guy' roles.
Posted Image

nomind
Member Avatar
Artisan
Yeah there is still a way they could have some characters both good guys even if they were on opposing sides. Epic Chushingura for example had Tetsuya Watari and the other guy as sworn brothers yet they were enemies. They could make some characters not-bad, even heroic, still even if they are in the "bad" opposing team. While not making sworn brother characters, they could make them (or some of the "enemies") have depth, introduce their views and morals, and how they understand the other yet they stick to what they believe is RIGHT. Instead of showing them as those bad guys who are WRONG. Now that would build it up for the climax battle, or whatever their fate is.

Wicked L
Member Avatar
Oki no kami
The NHK blurb for Segodon was, that Saigo wanted to "change the world with love "(certainly showed that at Aizu ). That almost made me not watch it .Seriously, its not great, just better than what we have had to endure recently .

ltdomer98
Member Avatar
Daijo Daijin

Wicked L
Feb 3 2018, 01:16 PM
The NHK blurb for Segodon was, that Saigo wanted to "change the world with love "(certainly showed that at Aizu ). That almost made me not watch it .Seriously, its not great, just better than what we have had to endure recently .

Yes. Clearly it was "love" that motivated him being the lead proponent of invading Korea in the early 1870s. That's it. "Love."
Posted Image
Daijo Daijin Emeritus
退職させていただきます。

Wicked L
Member Avatar
Oki no kami
Six episodes in, still stuck in rural paradise, now John Manjiro has just washed up on shore. Next week looks like something could actually happen, outside of rural's shouting at each other, in between bouts of sumo.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · The Samurai Film · Next Topic »
Add Reply

Board Index

Samurai Archives is (C)2015 by C.E. West & F.W. Seal. Samurai Archives online since September 1st, 1999. The current Samurai Archives forum online since March 4th, 2015.